Hopefully you aren’t in a situation where you have to clean out your desk because you lost your job, but if you are I want to give you a checklist of things that people often forget to do before they leave their computer workstation. I am started a new job this week (more on that in the coming days) and these are some of things I made sure to do before I left my old computer behind. It is important to make sure your computer is free of personal info and ready for whoever works on my computer in the future. I work on a Mac, so these might be a little different for a PC user.
1. Clear out the history and cache from all your browsers. Don’t forget to remove bookmarks, too.
2. Remove personal email accounts delete all personal email
3. Deauthorize iTunes
4. Remove instant message accounts
5. Remove FTP shortcuts to personal sites
6. Clean out Keychain access to make sure all your passwords are gone
7. Backup all personal files and remove them from your computer
8. Copy any work related files that you may want to use in your portfolio
9. Organize files that people will be working on after you leave
10. Copy your address book
Did I forget anything?